Dark Chocolate Orange With Toasted Marcona Almonds
This is a fabulously dark chocolate ice cream with excellent mouthfeel. Studded with bits of orange flavored dark chocolate and toasted marcona almonds, it is a slightly more sophisticated version of some childhood favorites.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- zest of 1 orange, or three mandarins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa, I use Valrhona
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips
- 8 oz orange flavored dark chocolate bar, chopped
- 8 oz Marcona almonds, or blanched almonds, chopped and toasted*
Place milk, vanilla, almond extract, salt, and orange zest in a large bowl. Set aside. Whisk eggs in a small bowl and set aside. In a large saucepan, whisk the cream, cocoa, and sugar together, and heat over medium until almost simmering. Remove from heat, and whisk in the chocolate chips until melted and smooth. While whisking the eggs vigorously, slowly ladle one cup of hot chocolate mixture into the eggs. When fully incorporated, repeat two times. Then add egg mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the chocolate. Heat again until almost boiling. Pour chocolate into milk mixture, and mix well. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight. Pour into ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. When done, pour into freezer container, and fold in chopped chocolate and toasted almonds. Allow to freeze overnight or for several hours before serving.
* spread almonds on a baking sheet and bake at 350* for 10-15 minutes until golden and fragrant