Food researchers at Britain’s Leatherhead Food Research have created the perfect meal. Starting with over 4,000 foods, they scientifically eliminated the junk claimed to be healthy and ended up with approximately 200. From there they created the most nutritious supper which includes a progression of foods containing the perfect nutrients.
Hors d’oeuvre: The menu starts with a fresh and smoked salmon terrine, which contains Omega 3 and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) which is good for the arteries, heart and brain, accompanied by a mixed leaf salad with an extra virgin olive oil dressing, helpful for maintaining healthy blood cholesterol levels.
Main Course: A chicken casserole with lentils and mixed vegetables, a main dish that could make about 80 health claims, among them that it contains protein to grow muscle mass and lentils to reduce tiredness and improve mental performance.
Dessert: The researchers recommend a blancmange, or pudding, made with yogurt with active cultures, topped with walnuts and a sugarless caramel-flavored sauce. Walnuts are known to improve elasticity of blood vessels, guar gum in the pudding would help to maintain normal blood cholesterol, and the yogurt is good for digestion.
Other recommendations from the food scientists at Leatherhead Food Research: A mixed berry shake that can serve as a meal replacement for dieters; a hot chocolate drink containing melatonin to aid in restful sleep; and charcoal tables to reduce gassiness.
- Researchers devise ‘healthiest meal ever’ (ctv.ca)
- Healthiest meal ever: After editing thousands of claims, scientists serve up a superdish (dzadnip.wordpress.com)
- Healthiest meal ever: After editing thousands of claims, scientists serve up a superdish (dailymail.co.uk)
- This Is the Healthiest Meal in the World [Food] (gizmodo.com)
- Healthiest meal ever: After editing thousands of claims, scientists serve up a superdish (investmentwatchblog.com)